New lighting model WIP

2801.74 In reply to 2801.72 
Hi DesuDeus,

> I disagree, there's Zebra for surface smoothness. Or checkerboard.

Those are great for doing a kind of special check, but they are so overwhelming on the screen that it is not very convenient to use those styles for full time regular modeling.

> I understand that, but if you look for pratical then Zebra and
> also one wich has very light shadows, would be more practical
> than metal.

No, although Zebra is good to have as well, but it is not as practical as the metal one I showed previously for having on full time while modeling.

> MoI website says "MoI, 3D Modeling for Designers and Artists"

Yes - notice that it says 3D Modeling for Designers and Artists, not 3D "Rendering" for Designers and Artists.

Currently MoI is focused on being a tool for modeling, that's why many of the current priorities are oriented towards practical functions and ease of use and not necessarily for just having the most possible beautiful image on the screen like it would be when you are working on producing renderings.

For a tool, the priority is usefulness first. If there is some choice that makes a more cool looking screen image but negatively impacts usefulness, then that would not be aligned with MoI's current goals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to having things look nice when possible as well, but that is a lower priority goal. Despite that, I actually have spent a lot more time improving the graphic look of MoI than I had done in previous projects like Rhino for example.

> The "Artists" part is already mission complete because MoI is
> simple and powerfull so Artists can work on MoI.

No, I don't think that will ever really be "mission complete"... There's still a lot more ground to be covered in the "modeling" part.

> If you allow users to make content they would be very
> happy to produce content because they all love MoI.

Yes, this would definitely be a useful function to be able to include user-generated environments, and I do want to include it in the future.

> if you think my critics are rough tell me

It's not that they are rough, they sound like cool and fun things to do definitely!

But your priorities (for example, just making things "look cool") are not in line with MoI's current development priorities - that means that I can't easily act directly on your feedback so much in the short term because it would take me away from the current set of goals instead of moving in line with the current set of goals.

- Michael