New lighting model WIP

2801.67 In reply to 2801.65 
Hi DesuDeus, thanks for sharing those images! But I don't really think that the examples that you show there are necessarily "better" than the one I showed, they just have some different qualities, some of which are actually undesirable.

Having some more compressed gradients actually helps to give a bit more prominent visible reflection lines, which are kind of what you want to look for when you are using the reflection as a guide for surface smoothness.

The blurry one that you show reduces the effectiveness of using reflections for that purpose.

Then the chrome one you show is maybe a little bit too unbalanced, it looks very much like chrome certainly but the visible reflection lines are all only on the top half of the environment.

I'm not only shooting for just a purely aesthetic result with this function, I'm also trying to give it some practical qualities as well.

Your comments seem to be putting a kind of "final rendering" aesthetic look above all else which is not necessarily the right direction for a kind of interactive modeling mode, really.

I can understand the desire to make things look really cool, but also you seem to have a tendency to want to place "form over function", which is not really the philosophy that is guiding MoI in general.

> Can you share the image you are using? Or at least a screenshot of it?

It's not so easy to do this because it is a procedurally generated cube map. I don't have anything set up currently to dump it to disk.

- Michael