New lighting model WIP

2801.28 In reply to 2801.18 
Hi Danny,

> I've always wondered, if we really need coloured
> wireframes/edges as well as assigning names and
> styles to them, I don't see a need to do this for edges,
> unless you or someone else can convince me otherwise.

Do you mean you would want to assign names and styles to them but not have them show up in any colors?

Styles are all about colors though, so that would be kind of a mismatch to be able to assign them to a style but not have them visually reflect it - styles are meant to have a visual kind of grouping or labeling effect in general.

Really though this behavior with edge colorization is more of a setup for some longer range ideas. Like imagine if you could set in a style some properties like Brush type: "pencil sketch" or "felt tip marker", and then assigning some edges to have that style would give them that appearance.

It may help to be able to have those things in the future by having some groundwork set up earlier where edges can participate in styling.

There's also one other nice practical effect of having colored edges currently, which is that it lets you see some color on an object that has been selected with the first click to give it "whole object selection", which turns the surfaces to be displayed in the yellow selection color instead of their regular color.

For example here are a bunch of objects:

After selection, because the edge colorization does not change there is at least a hint of the style identity still able to be perceived:

- Michael