New lighting model WIP

2801.133 In reply to 2801.132 
Hi Danny,

> That's one thing with NX, once an object is a solid or joined
> surfaces you can't hide individual faces, NX considers the
> object as one entity. There is away around this so I can answer
> your question.

I guess that's why being able to name edges and so forth is feeling odd to you.

But the advantage is that since MoI can apply all regular object attributes to edges and faces, it does not need to have any kind of special "way around" it - all the normal tools such as Hide, Lock, selecting or hiding things with the scene browser, etc... all just work on edges or faces.

That helps provide a lot of flexibility while at the same time keeping the UI easy to use, since you don't have to use special "face tools" to colorize faces, you just use the regular tools for any of these.

For example in MoI if you want to be able to hide some partial chunk of a complex solid, you can do that by selecting the faces and assign a name - now that name will be available in the scene browser and you can click on the eye to turn that chunk on or off with one click. That would leave the edges still visible which may be kind of handy but if you wanted the edges in that area to hide as well you could assign them to the same name and then both the faces and the wires in that area would be controlled by that scene browser entry.

That's possible in MoI with the same UI controlling it all because of this ability to assign regular object properties to faces and edges...

I'm getting kind of a headache trying to follow what you are describing for NX, sorry... ;)

- Michael