New lighting model WIP

2801.125 In reply to 2801.124 
Hi Danny,

> I haven't got a copy of colored MoI to see the difference, so
> this is a rough indication of what I mean.
> Small surfaces are easily seen in the model with the black edges.

I guess it could possibly be a problem in a few particular areas, but it doesn't seem to be that bad with the default lighting, which looks like this in MoI:

Selecting an object causes the surfaces to become much brighter, which changes the contrast with the edges by quite a bit:

I'll make the option available so you can switch it if you want, but it just does not seem to be a big enough problem to have it set up that way by default though.

Also in the 3D view as you move around shading will change, which helps to make the edges to be seen.

> Assuming the edges are black, Is it possible upon selection
> the edges show the style colour, same goes for wireframe display.

That sounds kind of strange, it would probably be difficult to come up with a sane UI for controlling options for that level of things mutating and changing with different states.

It's a much more simple situation when wireframe looks the same as the current edge display.

> That's all good stuff, that would be for a final visual static output,
> I wouldn't be modeling with sketchy style edges.

Even so you'll probably want to be able to see something close to the final rendered output in a real-time view so you can do things like adjust lights, fine tune the view angle, etc... which are good to do in a real time display.

So there are definitely benefits to having things able to be set up in the working view to display like that, even if you are not going to be using it for full time modeling.

> I think when you implement these thats when we can apply
> colors and line styles to the edges.

It's better to have things set up now to support it, that way when it comes time to add those things they will fit in more naturally rather than needing to kind of rip out an incompatible system and replace it.

> The way you have Booleans set up by default this will happen
> anyway, won't it ?

It will, but at the boolean time. It would be very strange for it to happen at "style assignment" time instead. (to get back a current style property of "Various styles" after having just assigned Style = Red to a solid for example).

> Just a quick question on this, when selecting multi coloured
> bodies will the edges show up the colour of the surface it represents ?
> what happens to the shared edge of 2 different coloured surfaces ?

Edges don't really "represent" a surface, they are another kind of entity that makes up a solid just like surfaces are one kind of entity.

Edges in MoI have their own style properties assigned to them, so when you edit a face and change the face's style, it doesn't change the edge style, those are separate things.

> Having those options will please a lot of users, I think

Yeah, I think with the options that I am adding now you should be able to get what you want.

- Michael