Lofting Problem

2791.15 In reply to 2791.14 
@ DannyT

I agree with what you say. It is a pity I discarded the curves I drew this morning, but I did evaluate the curvature with the combs tool that Rhino has too. I concur with your analysis, although I think that my “single” curve did not display such a poor continuity.

My point was rather that it would be better to have surfaces that are made with continuous curves (but proper, smooth ones) rather than segments because they lend themselves much better to further transformation like cutting, booleans and blends etc. than if there is a segment line in the middle of a cut-out opening for which you want a blend with another piece.

In this recreated example, the bottom curve is the 3-parts with G2 blend one, and the top is the single smooth one. The combs show similar fairness, although the G2 curve is somewhat cleaner. The surfaces generated with both curves look very similar, and indeed the various toolds in Rhino (zebra, environment map etc.) are nearly identical. The G2 curve is possibly a bit better, but not by much.

But I would anticipate less trouble with the surface generated from the single curve when working with the cut-out circles, as the edges running across a segment line are segmented.