MoI - Big Wishlist thread - Post your wishes here

A "Chop" command.

I find myself doing a lot of chopping up of solids. Draw a line, extrude into a plane, boolean or trim a closed surface with it, etc etc...

So I propose a simplified trim/boolean (diff) function, lets call it 'chop', and adding support for a orthographic 3D view with a view-relative grid.

So instead of drawing a curve, extruding to a plane, then booleaning the solid, then clicking seperate, then deleting the junk part, then joining the plane to the sliced solid to cap it..., how about following workflow:

You align your view relative to the object however you like. In 3D orthographic mode, or side view, or top view, etc, you draw your curve over the object. You select the object, and hit "Chop".

The line is automagically projected into a 'slicing' plane down into the selected object, dividing it into 2 capped pieces. These pieces are also automatically seperated and capped if you so choose. Like trimming curves, it then asks you to select the pieces you want to remove, or hit 'done' and keep them all.

I've found this to be something I do a lot of. And I think a command like this would immensely speed up the workflow, especially for those of us coming from a non-cad background.