Edge selection - blend multiple surface edges

2739.13 In reply to 2739.12 
DesuDeus wrote: "The other sad part is that very few software have them. At least cheap software (less than 2k)
MoI with T-Splines would just nuke any competition :D And it will gain a hell lot of customers around the world :)"

TSplines might sell more licenses if a host app were available for $300 instead of $800. But Rhino has a lot more exposure, so it probably balances in the end. Of course any developer would be interested if a plugin could bring new customers to their app. But as Michael mentioned, he's not ready to support plugins yet. Also there are many Rhino functions which TSplines is using behind the scenes. MoI would need to have equivalent functions, otherwise Tsplines has to write their own code for it. They do this sometimes, but I'm sure they rather avoid it. Also MoI would need support for mesh objects. T-Splines uses Rhino's mesh object, but adds an extension to support T-points and creasing. The last (and probably most important) is that TSplines is not a simple plugin such as a render engine. I've been told that Tsplines is doing very sophisticated coding at a very low level in Rhino. Consider how they are able to take over Rhino's interface. McNeel had to develop this to support them. Probably MoI would need to do the same. I think it's a big piece of work and would slow down other development for MoI...

Also my feeling is they want to develop a very solid plugin to Rhino before porting to other applications. It would help them a lot to isolate problems if they only focus on Rhino. Also (this just my opinion) i think TSplines achieved only about 50% of their potential so far. Once they have the ability to support trimming, fillets, etc without collapsing to Nurbs then i think there will be a great interest among the big CAD developers. Also they need to improve the continuity around star points. V2 made a BIG improvement to have a minimum of C1. But for many companies, I'm sure they would need C2 at all points. TSplines is a young technology, and I think they will start expanding in a couple of years...

@ Jason - Sorry for derailing your thread! :)

jonah