Top 10 reasons for buying MoI...

2704.4 In reply to 2704.1 
Hi Dave, thanks very much for your order! I'm really glad that you are enjoying using MoI. Don't forget to get some sleep though... ;)

Yeah, getting nice meshing results is a really critical thing for a lot of people.

When I started MoI, I knew that there were quite a lot of people who use rendering/polygon tools that had previously tried NURBS modeling but bailed out exactly because they could not get good mesh results, and they needed to work with mesh data for their final use of the model.

It tends to be very frustrating to have your object destroyed at the final step! It can really nullify many of the useful parts of NURBS modeling.

That's one of the reasons why it was not unusual that people in the polygon modeling world were saying "NURBS are dead" for a while there.

Because it is such a major problem, I really wanted to make it a high priority in MoI to deal with this area in a much better way. So far I think I've invested about 8 months of full time work just on this area of producing better meshes. It's been a huge investment (by far the most time spent on any 1 single feature aside from possibly overall UI design), but I think it has been well worth it since it helps to make MoI fit in so much better when working with other applications.

Also in MoI version 2.0 mesh export has been tuned up substantially for speed improvement as well, and it now takes advantage of multiple CPU cores. This really helps to make it even more convenient.

> The other "intangible" thing about MoI is that it is just a
> lot of fun to use. I spent hours and hours yesterday creating
> all kinds of "doodles", exporting them into modo (not a single
> glitch) and rendering them out.

Yeah, it is hard to quantify this precisely but it is basically the result of numerous little workflow tune-ups, trying to make things be more fluid rather than getting in your way. Fewer irritations ends up helping to make things more fun.

It's really been a major goal to try and make simple things happen in this kind of fluid way so that you can make stuff happen quickly.

I'm happy that you're picking up on this part, that is encouraging for me! :)

Thanks very much for the feedback,

- Michael