Top 10 reasons for buying MoI...

2704.15 In reply to 2704.14 
Hi PaQ,

> As Michael said, .lwo is much better, I can't remember when
> I had a flipped poly using it ... but still it may happends.

Right now I don't have any reports of improper flipped polygons when using LWO format...

So I'd think that extra geometry>poly>align step should not be needed if you are using LWO format, but by all means if it makes you feel better... ;)

There are a couple of issues that can come up which are not actually bugs though, like if you export an open surface rather than a closed solid, it may not have the normal orientation like you expect because only solids have an automatic "outside" direction applied to them.

Also if you have 2 independent surfaces in MoI that are sitting side by side and not actually joined to have a common edge, then the meshes are generated separately and may not have the same normal orientation between them. When objects have joined edges, the polygons will have a consistent direction between them though.

What I have seen on a couple of rare occasions is a triangulation failure where Modo did not handle splitting up a certain n-gon into display triangles properly. This is a different problem than a normal orientation one, but it is also very unusual to run into it.

- Michael