3D Coat v3 released

2677.35 In reply to 2677.28 
"@WillBellJr

Normals map and diplace are really different.

You can 'bake' an high res model over a lowres one. N-gones should not be a problem, but I never tried that.

You can use a software like x-normal (http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx), where you can import a low res object, an hires one, and transfer the details as a normal map.
However, I'm not sure if x-normal will load the MoI .obj with the right vertex normals info. If not, then the result will be really bad.

More less every 3d package can do this normal transfer now, the only problem is to import the high-res model. (x-normal is really optimized to import huge highres models).

For the displacement it's an other story, because your base mesh has to be ready to be subdivided with a clarmull-clark kind algo. So you really have to prepare this base mesh carefully (-> sds/poly modeler)."

Hi PaQ, yes, I realize the normals and displacements are different, I just lost track of the fact that for displacements, you need to be able to dynamically subdivide the model as you're working - so ngons from MoI at that point wouldn't work all that well.

I see however that I am able to get my models into ZBrush now using this high-tri export technique.

Thing is now, I have to reacquaint myself with ZBrush again since it has sat dormant, and out of my workflow for a while. :-P

With 3D Coat, the pixel painting import works fine also - I'm just waiting to see now whatelse ZBrush 4 is going to bring to the table.

The biggest thing I've been waiting for is MoI's export of surface assignments!

-Will