3D Coat v3 released

2677.33 In reply to 2677.31 
>No, I really didn't understand what your goal was for all of this.
I mean, in some aspects it is kind of like trying to put a square peg into a round hole...

yup that's me, a designer not following the crowd...)

>If your goal is to get the final output into SolidWorks, then that makes more sense to want to do these kinds of steps - I didn't know that was your final goal until your new message here though!
So does that final goal of export to SolidWorks also apply to what you wanted to do with that couch example you posted previously?

It has a dual purpose really.
a) create manufacturable data (in some cases as shown on example above...)
b) use as much of that data possible to create marketing material (photo real renderings etc.)

>With that one you still may be better off starting with a Sub-d modeler and making the general folds and ripples in it by manipulating the sub-d point cage. Then you bring that into t-splines and convert it to NURBS there. Right now that seems to be the main workflow for that kind of a thing.

Correct and that is what I have been doing all along. BUT I fund it counterproductive. (remodel just for the sake to get a "render friendly" output)
THERE FOR STILL IN SEARCH FOR THAT NEXT HYBRID.

>But that quadrangulate result you show after voxel sculpting is looking pretty good, that looks like it may be promising!
The nice thing about that voxel method is that it should not be sensitive to what you use as the starting shape - whether it is initial sub-d data or initial CAD data exported from MoI it should not make any particular difference because the final result is extracted from the voxel structure..

Indeed looks like it may be promising! Also I must say Michael Just your mesher alone has made a big difference...
All I see is Michael Gibson, Matthew Sederberg(tsplins) and Andrew Shpagin(3d-coat) each one holding a piece of the Rosetta Stone...) just put them together and we may have the answer to all questions.

EDITED: 11 Jun 2009 by NEO