3D Coat v3 released

2677.15 In reply to 2677.12 
Hi Will,

> (Unless of course Michael can create that ever-elusive all quads exporter!)

Well, one additional tricky thing is that even if I had that it would not necessarily be a universal solution.

When MoI generates a mesh, it creates the mesh vertices on your existing surfaces.

Even if the polygons were generated with an all-quad topology, if you then turned around and used those same quads as a sub-d hull and then did further subdivisions, your subdivided results are not going to follow the original NURBS surfaces directly, there would be a kind of additional "melting" or shrinking-down kind of modification happening.

That may be fine if you want a very melted kind of a thing, but I would not be surprised to see things like some bumps and undulations being formed that were not in the original NURBS model.

So it's just not at all certain that converting to an "all quad" polygon mesh would actually be completely equivalent to a seamless conversion to sub-d...

Of course it would certainly be useful in many situations though, I'm just not very confident it would be a totally magic conversion thing like it kind of sounds like you would expect.

- Michael