3D Coat v3 released

2677.14 In reply to 2677.8 
Hi neo,

> here is an example showing what I would like to achieve

You mean you want to construct a sofa you can actually sit on in your living room?

Or do you mean you want to make a rendered image of a sofa?

Or do you mean you want to make a sofa figurine with an STL machine of a small sofa model?

Or do you want to cut a sofa object on a CNC?

Or do you want to make an long rendered animation with a sofa in it?

The methods you would use to get your result can be pretty different depending on which of these specific goals you actually have in mind - just saying you want to "achieve a sofa" is a bit too generic to really give specific advice.

> so let say I have design a sofa in MoI and then I want to export
> to 3d-Coat or ZBrush to add some "life" to it, add stitches,
> Creases etc. the question is which one of the two make better
> use of exported geometry from MoI?

Well, if your main goal is to produce a highly detailed rendering with an extremely high poly count, then you would probably want to look at not using MoI at all like PaQ mentioned and instead you would want to produce a Sub-d model + displacement map.

Basically if your target shape is completely covered in a lot of little tiny bumps and wrinkles, probably MoI is not really going to be the best tool for that kind of a job. You would want to look into a Sub-d modeler for that kind of a thing, they are focused on producing organic shapes like monster heads and things like that which have a lot of little tiny lumps and high frequency details in them.

I think your example there is more in the "lots of organic detail" type category (rather than more "mechanical base + some embossing"), so probably working from the beginning in one of those modelers that are focused much more entirely on that kind of shaping would be better for you here.

- Michael