MOI TO OBJ TO 3DS CONVERSION

2675.3 In reply to 2675.1 
Hi Zuzu, thanks for trying out MoI!

I think that PaQ has got the right answers to your questions already, I'll just summarize as well.

> 1) What are the save-as settings in MoI to ensure the best-compromise
> for a low-poly hi-res model? (This will no doubt be different between
> every model created, so offering an overall method or any pointers will
> be very appreciated)

Low poly + hi-res are kind of opposing goals so it can be difficult to balance them very well.

I think your best bet is what PaQ mentioned - use a tight angle setting, and then also use the "Avoid smaller than" parameter to lessen the density in smaller spots.

The way "Avoid smaller than" works is that you put in a distance there, and polygons that are smaller than that size will "downshift" to use a much rougher angle tolerance. So say for example you put in the value 0.1 in there - that will cause little surfaces that are smaller than 0.1 units in size (for example like a small knob in your model or something like that) to get a coarser mesh on them, which you won't tend to notice in the final rendering unless you are trying to zoom in close to something.

Another thing is if you want to use different settings for different objects, you can select an object and then write out only that object by using File / Export rather than "Save As" (Save As writes everything, Export only writes the selected objects).

> 2) Why is the model imported in 3ds Max over twice the Poly Count of the MoI obj?

Like PaQ mentioned - it sounds like Max is not counting 1 n-gon = 1 polygon, instead it is counting all the display triangles that it has diced an n-gon or quad up into.

So to get an exact match you would need to export from MoI as Output:Triangles only.

Is there some kind of specific target number of polygons that you are trying to stay under for some reason?

It looks like with the newest release of Max, the OBJ importer is working a lot better now. Also for MoI v2 I've added in an FBX export which can also be useful for exporting from MoI specifically into Max, if you are using an older version of Max where the OBJ import did not work as well.

- Michael