MOI TO OBJ TO 3DS CONVERSION

Hi Michael and All

Thank you for the opportunity to use your program - I have been evaluating MoI using the 30days trial (save) version, firstly to get to grips with 3D modelling, secondly to find out if it is a tool that is going to be useful in my workflow. MoI has proven to be a very light but very nifty little program (I have come across a few bugs but nothing that I am sure is not being fixed).

Whilst the software is overall very user-friendly, I have come across something that may be the difference between a make or break deal - but I am hoping it is an issue that I have misunderstood and is in fact solvable. I have attached a sequence of 8 images for a tester project (a decorative ceiling light) that will help to illustrate my question regarding export / import.

Steps :

1) I exported (save-as) the model as an obj using the default settings (images 2 - 3) - Preview Poly Count at this point is 140392.
(note: I have tried the 'Quads and Triangles' as well as 'N-gons' output because I need to have the option of editing the model in 3ds Max.... ps. this time the Poly Count was 193543 using default save-as settings)
2) I imported the obj model in 3ds Max using the default setting again (images 4 - 5). The Poly Count between the two programs is significantly different (images 6 - 8) - 296652

Questions:

1) What are the save-as settings in MoI to ensure the best-compromise for a low-poly hi-res model? (This will no doubt be different between every model created, so offering an overall method or any pointers will be very appreciated)
2) Why is the model imported in 3ds Max over twice the Poly Count of the MoI obj? Even if it were double-faced the figure would be 280784. What settings am I missing out in MoI save-as and / or 3ds Max OBJ IMPORTER dialogue windows, to ensure the model Poly Count and integrity remains the same?

I thank you in advance....can't wait for a response!

Z