Unrapt a 3d object

2654.5 In reply to 2654.3 
Hi Gaston,

This is rather like my need to flatten the ship model I am designing in MoI so that it can be constructed as a paper model.

Are you able to attach an image of your model (or perhaps the 3d file itself)? I would be curious to see how complex the sculpture is that you are trying to unfold.

I have found what appears to be a workable method by exporting to sketchup (requires MoI V2 beta) and unfolding using the free Google Sketchup and a free ruby script. I will track down the link to the script if you want it.

The Skoogle script can sometimes fracture the mesh in weird ways as it unfolds. As Michael has advised, I found it necessary to break my model up into some logical pieces. It is also necessary to play with the density of the mesh when you export. The simpler the mesh is the better your chances it will unfold.

Finally, even though I have broken up my model along segments that I want to enforce some unfolding order on, I still make sure the pieces are "joined" so that they export with vertices joined from piece to piece (where the pieces should be one part).

This link on the Papermodelers forum gives an idea of what can be achieved:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/3049-hmas-sydney-ii.html

EDITED: 25 May 2009 by MABROWN