Styles

2619.13 In reply to 2619.12 
Thanks for a very extensive reply.

It's great to hear that some parts of the styles will get a big upgrade, i thought that was going to happen, just not clear how.

My main concern now is that you can get a lot of things messed up by accident. Selecting geometry and then accidentally changing them to another layer. Or selecting all your hidden geometry in a layer and not being able to hide it again. I have to be really careful for the moment.
So an undo would be great. Although i can imagine that for some users the extra undo steps will be a disadvantage (like zoom and pan operations are included in autocad's undo...) Maybe ctrl-shift-z shortcut for undo with styles operation and ctrl-z for normal undo? Or the other way around?

>What about if you had a keyboard shortcut with a script on it that would handle that for you?
>I mean hit a key that would then do a combination of throwing things to a style named "hidden",
>as well as actually hiding them.
>I'm not sure at the moment if I have enough stuff exposed to make that work,
>but that would not be difficult to fit within the current system.

Would be great! I would use that rather than hiding inside the style itself. H as a shortcut to hide geometry to a construction layer that is turned of by default. And accessible when you need it.

>I've got a couple of tune-ups for that for the next beta already - undo will work to revert the selection in this case now, and also if you hold down shift and click, it will only select the currently visible items in that slot and not display them. I'm also going to be adding in an option so you can make the "not show" the default so that the shift+click has the reverse meaning if you want.

That sounds fabulous!

I think the styles system has got great potential and part of the problem is just that i have to get used to it. I just think it still lacks the straightforwardness of most other MoI features. Default behaviour should probably be a bit more dummy proof with a lot of advanced behaviour implemented with shift clicking - ctrl - alt clicking.

I'll post another remark in the next post, too much information at once otherwise..