Resetting Scale

2610.3 In reply to 2610.1 
Hi Mark,

> or better, to make MoI recognise that my ship is 171m long
> by resetting its internal scale to match my model.

There isn't really anything like an internal scale in MoI, when you enter in numbers like x=50, y=150 - those are not modified by MoI, they get stored as the numbers 50 and 150 exactly as you entered...

I think your best bet is to scale your model by the method that Paolo wrote above, by drawing in 2 reference lines of those lengths and snapping on to them with the Scale command.

Then for your background images, there is a new "Align" function for background images in the v2 beta (download from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm) which allows you to transform a background image in a similar way, by picking 2 original points and then 2 target points, and then the image is scaled (and rotated if there is an angular difference) to map from the first 2 to the last 2. That works like this:

In your case here though you want to have each reference line pointing in the same direction and with a shared endpoint so that there will not be any rotation or lateral movement, only scaling.

Then go through your background images one by one, highlight one and hit "Align", pick the 2 source points, and the 2 target points, and when you finish that your images should be scaled to their proper new locations.

Also you probably want the 2 reference lines to be anchored with a common endpoint at the 0,0,0 origin point, so that everything scales in relation to that point.

Does that handle the rescaling that you need to do?

Also one other note - probably you should save off a backup copy of your model before doing this just in case, right now that Image align tool does not have an undo in it just so you know (it is on my list to tune this up though).

- Michael