Trim command

2606.2 In reply to 2606.1 
Hi Rob,

> it is a bit frustrating having to manually select all the
> peices individually to remove

Generally when there is a batch of things you want to select, try using window selection rather than individual clicking.

Window selection is when you click in an empty area and drag out a selection box.

Here is a quick demo of using it with Trim:

There are 2 modes for the window select, depending on whether you drag it starting from the left going towards the right, or starting on the right going towards the left.

If you go from left to right, it will only select things that are completely contained within the window. The window outline shows as a solid line for this mode. This is often the one that you would want to use for grabbing trim fragments.

If you go from the right towards the left, it will select anything that touches the box in any way, not thing that are only fully contained. This mode will show the window with a dashed outline.

So strategic use of those can help avoid a ton of manual click selections.

> could there be an option that selects all those trimmed objects on
> one side of the line or the other so you would just click on the side
> you wanted to delete?

It would probably be kind of tough to do that, since Trim works on a lot more than just lines as the cutting objects. There is not always one "side" available like that.

Also for a line as the cutter you should pretty much always be able to grab a window around it easily, if the cutter is angled you may want to use the 3D view so you can rotate around for a good vantage point to do the window.

If you have an example file that you are having a problem with, can you please post it so I can take a look?

> Also I'm still struggling to get used to pressing enter to
> delete 'remove' the objects instead of pressing the delete
> key - which seems more natural to me anyway.

Really here I would recommend using right-click instead of either of those.

Right click inside of a viewport is also an alias for hitting the "Done" button the same as enter, and it tends to be more efficient.

- Michael
Attachments: