cplane request

2599.20 In reply to 2599.19 
Hi Danny,

> The thing is that's what I thought I was doing, duplicating
> the object from XYZ position and then pasting it at the XYZ
> position in the other session, I didn't think this was changing
> the orientation of the object, just changing the position of
> the work plane.

I'm not sure if I follow - currently the way it works is that your object is exactly duplicated when you paste, no coordinates are changed, every single XYZ coordinate of your copied object should be exactly the same when you paste in. (with the exception of unit system scaling if there were different units between the copied model and the one you are pasting into).

When you set up a construction plane, you are not actually changing the coordinates for objects that are stored in the geometry database (which are always stored in world coordinates), you're just basically changing your view on to the world and the surface that is used for the initial position of newly drawn objects.

To change an object from one construction plane to a different plane somewhere else, would involve remapping and changing all the coordinates of the objects. I thought that was what you were asking about?

I could see having that as a kind of special paste function, but it seems to be good to leave the regular paste as operating in a simple "just duplicate things with no changes" way.

- Michael