Sketch tools in MoI

2583.3 In reply to 2583.2 
Michael,

Thank you for your fast reply. I didn't mean vector tools but pixel tools similar to those provided in Alias. And more precisely very simplified version of the tools provided in Alias. My impression is that their complexity and the odd UI in Alias are not appreciated by many designers and concept artists. So there is an available market segment.

The sketch techniques artists and designers use are typical with loose, natural, freehand, fast strokes. I am certain you have seen some and you know exactly of what I am talking about. This style of work is simply very different than using vector tools like the one provided in MoI or in Illustrator. Even if you add eraser working on vectors, the method wont be an alternative to artistic hand sketching.

I know that there are some tablet sketching programs on the market which could be used separately to prepare sketches and then import them into MoI as reference graphics. That is typical approach in digital prototyping and production surfacing, but quite useless for the concept development it self. The problem is that any serious concept design tool should allow the user to quickly switch between the sketch and the CAD model. Loading sketches form standalone applications every time a change is necessary is simply not an option. I believe that in the near future we will see CAD products that will allow associated work, but for now some basic pixel tools working in the CAD environment would be nice.

The modeling tools MoI currently has are just enough for professional concept work. In my opinion adding few simple sketch tools is the only thing you need to claim your share of the concept tools market.

EDITED: 17 Apr 2009 by ENZO