Inherit style

2581.9 In reply to 2581.6 
>>>>>if you model a cube in layer 1, a cylinder in layer 2 and now your active layer is 2, if you go back to your cube and apply a fillet and make a hole, do you want the fillet and the hole surfaces on the cube to be on the same layer as the cylinder?
>>>>

Well, Yes!

I've never used a layer system that automatically changed based on the object I selected. It is always me that changes what layer I am working on.

But I think I see what your saying too. Seems some things need to be independent of the layer system, otherwise the only way to propogate the seperation of layering would be to create "duplicates upon duplicates" to preserve the original layer. Things like booleans and fillets on an object need to be tied to that object, not necessarily a layer. I wonder if there is a set criteria for what constitutes "layer only" or "object only" type operations?

Anyway I see what your saying now as I tried putting it into practice with some other packages. Certain operations like "extracting the edges" of a solid model to do profiling operations, respected the layering, but a boolean (obviously) did not and was applied at the original object and original objects layer, regardless of the active layer at the time.

Seems there is a split somewhere as to what can layer out and what cant. The question is, is this arbitrary and set by michael, or is it a "theory set" that comes along with this type of system, that needs to be adhered to?

Talk later