Inherit style

2581.20 In reply to 2581.19 
Hi Danny,

> I would expect the blend to be under the active style
> because it is a single item that I made under that style.

What about an extrusion?

Say you extrude a curve with Style=Red - what should the generated surface/solid have - Style=Red, or the Active style?

Most people seem to expect to have the styles inherit in this situation too (so output solid has Style=Red, regardless of the active style), but this is again the kind of case where there will likely be some kind of setting to choose which behavior you want.

> Now if I was to join those 3 surfaces, I am making it one item,
> so I would expect it to be under the active style,

I'm pretty sure that it won't work like this part though - when you have geometry that comes from a direct copy of an ancestor piece, right now it is intended that the styles will persist the same on the copied piece as the original.

Otherwise there is just too much chance that you could lose material assignments that you may have spent some time working on setting up.

For example imagine with that detailed camera model that you had, that you want one piece of a solid to be a different material (for example some extruded text geometry to be silver or something like that), so you set those faces to have your own style. Now later on you want to separate that part out and do a bit of modification to it and re-join it later, if I did what you mention here your original assigned styles would be lost.

> if I separated them, I think they should resort back to the
> original styles that I modeled them in ( if it's possible,
> coding wise, with MoI)

That would require some kind of additional property tracking that is not currently being done.

> or they all separate under the active style, which I don't mind either.

Right now the plan is that separate will work like copying, the separated piece will retain the same style that it had when inside the solid. This should be working already in the current beta.

Otherwise again there would be materials information that would be lost with that kind of automatic modification.

- Michael