Inherit style

2581.2 In reply to 2581.1 
Hi Danny yeah I saw that, sorry haven't answered yet due to "thread fatigue" ;)

I do intend to modify it to work like you were expecting.

That situation where the newly created surface is a sub-object of an existing brep (such as with Fillet), that is pretty clear that it should inherit the style of the parent brep like you are talking about.

Right now those are kind of getting caught up in a general dragnet that applies the active style to all things that did not otherwise get a style assigned to them, but I will be able to fix that up pretty easily.

The ability to have sub-objects be assigned various different styles than the parent brep has had some side effects like this that need some tuning up.

I will probably be adding in a .ini switch similar to what you mention though, because there are some other situations where it is not quite as clear, like if you do a blend between 2 edges, should the newly created blend surface (which is an independent surface object) get the active style applied to it, or if the 2 input objects to the blend had the same style should it get that one applied to it?

I know from developing Rhino that this can go either way, there are some people who like to have the output objects generated using the "current layer" so that they can make things all arranged where they want them to go without having to always be altering things.

But I think that wanting to inherit in cases like this tends to be more commonly expected so probably inheriting will be the default.

It probably won't take too long for me to roll out another beta with some tune-ups like this in it.

- Michael