V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.83 In reply to 2570.82 
Hi Burr, yeah Danny has that sorted out - the plan is that it will be Groups that will allow for additional flexibility of being able to have an object belong to more than one of them.

> Styles would be in place of layers with out the limitation
> of layers and the one object, one layer thing.

What I was trying to say earlier about that stuff was that I wanted to have some available method of organizing objects that does not have that limitation...

The idea is that Groups would be that method.

Groups should end up functioning in a generally similar way as styles, like there will be eyes to click on to hide/show... But they will allow for some more flexibility than the styles. Styles do share the limitation of "traditional" layers of only being able to have one style per object (or sub-object).

It doesn't really work well to have one object belong to more than one style at the same time since the style controls the visual appearance of the object, like something assigned to the style "Blue" will show up colored blue on the screen. Something assigned to "Red" will show up as red on the screen (or they will once the shaded display is working for that, currently the wire display will show it though). If there was a way to assign an object to be both "Blue" and "Red" at the same time, then which color would you expect to see on the screen? Since that does not really work styles are limited to only one per object but then Groups should provide the same kind of interface with the same abilities to hide/show, select/deselect but without that restriction.

I still have a few details to work out for Groups though.

The thing that I was mentioning about not liking layers so much is when that is the only way provided to do this kind of hide/show things in a list, but has that "object can only be assigned to one" limitation.

That's why I want to have some other sections of the browser that you can use instead of only one section. Each section can give some slightly different organization methods but all still have a consistent UI and actions that can be applied like hide/show, select/deselect.

- Michael