V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.67 In reply to 2570.64 
Hi Marc, thanks for the feedback!

> With the inline browser I sometime get double scroll
> bars, one for all the tabs and one for the browser.

What is your monitor's screen resolution?

I think this should not generally happen if you have a pretty high resolution screen, where there is a lot of empty space under the Construct/Transform tools, that's basically where the "inline" mode is meant to be used with.

The inline browser is limited to a maximum size of 40% of the main window's height - any larger than that and it will get its own internal scroll bar. But if that 40% size does not fit you will get the double scroll bar.

You can adjust the percent though in moi.ini, look in the [UI] section, for this:
InlineBrowserMaxPercentHeight=40

Maybe with your screen resolution / UI size, something like 30% limit would work better and limit the browser from going off the bottom of your side pane.

> I agree with Thomas about the brilliant part and also on the
> tabs shape topic. Maybe the 'legs' could be smaller and not
> proportional.

What you show there is similar to what I had earlier, here is the early version (to the left) along side the newer one:

The previous one felt kind of "blocky", but maybe it is a bit better.

The tail part is actually not proportional, which is probably the issue - when your text becomes small the fixed "tail" size can maybe be too long in proportion to the whole header.

> Maybe the browser background could stretch down to the viewport length.

Hmm, I don't know - that would make for different behavior with the other palettes, which have that exact same background only extend to cover their content. For example in your screenshot the bottom palette for Construct/Transform that is collapsed does not have its background stretch down to the bottom of the side pane.

> I get a strange impression with the empty space created
> under the browser in adjacent mode, it's quite large when
> unexpanded.

Hmm, there still seems to be a kind of empty feeling with the one you show there with it extended... It instead looks like a palette with a big empty section within it, which they don't normally have.

That may be hard to avoid the empty feeling when the area is actually empty of stuff.

> Also a line under tabs could help visually separating sections. (see image).

That looks really good! I think I will give that one a try - a little more indentation of the tab part looks good, I was trying to get something similar to that with the longer swoop coming in from the right side and narrowing down, but having an actual divider line rather than a narrow swoop looks better.

> I don't know if it's been mentioned, but maybe right clicking on
> the browser button could open it inline or vice-versa..

Well, the browser button disappears when you switch to inline mode, so that would maybe be a little weird to have the thing you clicked on kind of vaporize.

Probably under normal use (rather than "kicking the tires use") it will not really be frequent to switch between these modes on a rapid basis.

But if for some reason you do want to flip it back and forth quickly, you can set up a keyboard shortcut to do that, use this script as the command part of the shortcut:

script:moi.ui.browserPosition=(moi.ui.browserPosition == 'Adjacent' ? 'Inside' : 'Adjacent');

Thanks for the feedback Marc, I think that your header design looks better, the key thing there is the dividing line does a better job of what I was trying to do just with the sloping tail.

- Michael
Attachments: