V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.60 In reply to 2570.54 
Hi Eric, thanks for the feedback!

> For me it feels more natural when in ajecent mode that
> the browse is on the right side of the tools.
> People tend to use the tools far more than the browser, <...>

Yeah, I agree that the regular tools are used more frequently, but because they are used more frequently it can make sense for them to stay in a more fixed location so they will be in a more familiar spot all the time, rather than shifting around quite a bit depending on whether the browser is open or closed...

Anyway, that's the reasoning behind the current setup.

If want though you can edit a UI file so the panel will be placed where you want. To do this, go to the \ui subfolder inside of MoI's main installation folder, and open the file MainWindowLayout.xml in a text editor like notepad.

Go to line#13 which says this:
<UIPanel dock="right" src="moi://ui/BrowserPane.htm">

That's the entry for the browser pane. Cut that line out from that location, and paste it in at the top, just under the parent <UILayout> tag so it is first in the list of panels. That should result in the panel layout that you want.

At some point in the future I would like to make it so you could drag panels and dock them anywhere you want, but that is going to be pretty difficult to accomplish so it will probably be a while before that happens.

(but also note that if you switch this, the window control buttons that are normally in the upper-right corner of the window when maximized will still be attached to the regular side pane and will also be moved inwards as well, that's a good example of how it can be a lot more work to make swappable configurations it is not really only the matter of setting a single switch all the time).

> There is one things that I would want to see before you
> finalize V2, one rail sweep with mitered corners, PLEASE...

Yup, this work is still planned to be done in v2 after the browser stuff is all wrapped up. It will probably be the last batch of stuff that goes into v2.

> Another thing that would be great is a Merge Edge command
> (don`t mind if it`s a script).

Yeah this one is definitely on my list, but it is looking somewhat less probable for squeezing into v2 as the browser work has taken quite a lot of time and still isn't even complete yet.

> As others have mentioned, a lock style/groups/objects etc. would also be nice.

Yup, this one also is definitely on the list. It may happen for v2 but it depends on how long it takes to finish up other parts of the browser.

> You mentioned something about hitting the TAB key first and
> then type the object name.

Yeah the Tab + typing text will work now in this beta for typing in a command or script name. Like you can type in <tab> Line <enter> to start the line command if you like typing things in. The tab key puts the keyboard focus in the XYZ coordinate entry box in the bottom of the screen when you are not currently in a command.

I think that should be pretty easy to make it work for selecting named objects as well.

The general idea is to make that entry box kind of behave like a mini command line entry.

> Wild idea: Have a simple pixel based sketcher inside Moi
> with just a few brushes, nothing extensive.

I would love to do this, but it would be a very time consuming project to make it happen... Maybe for something like v5, I don't think it would be feasible to tackle it for v3 even. If there were only more hours in the day...

Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm Eric!

- Michael