V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.5 In reply to 2570.2 
Hi JTB, yeah that is a bug that the object properties do not persist through a history update, I think it should be possible for me to fix that up. Thanks for reporting it.

> No need to say that the object should exist even after
> boolean operations so that you can go back in history
> and change the object and the boolean should be
> updated accordingly...

Yup, I do want to make this possible in the future. It is going to take quite a bit of work to make it happen, I'm hoping to be able to make progress in version 3.

> Please tell us something about styles... They are here for ....????
> Something like colors, layers, groups or many of them together?

There are a couple of things that styles are there for - one is so that you have the option to organize objects into different colored categories as one method of working.

They also will be used to set up material assignments when exporting to a polygon format - this part is not quite set up yet.

They have some similarity to layers since the kind of traditional layer system also makes objects show up in the color of the layer it is assigned to.

Their behavior is a little different than layers though - one thing that is different is that a style does not have an on/off state that belongs to the "style" itself (the status that it shows is a reflection of the state of all the objects that belong to that style), they are just another way to work on a set of objects to apply some action like hide, show, select, deselect.

They don't have any more "weight" than any of the other methods of organization like organizing by object name or by object type. Each of those organization methods use different criteria for defining what makes up their set, but each of them has the same behavior that they let you apply some action to a batch of objects.

- Michael