V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.22 In reply to 2570.21 
Hi okapi, thanks - please let me know how it feels as you get a chance to mess with it some more.

> -Will there be options for the export, so that we can choose
> whether the OBJ groups will be defined according to Moi's
> object names, groups or styles? (I am assuming so).

Actually OBJ has a pretty good place to store each of these different things...

There is a way to label an "object" in OBJ by using the "o" directive, I was thinking that object names in MoI would map to that.

There is a way to specify group membership by using the "g" directive, so probably groups in MoI would map to that, although that one is not quite exact since OBJ groups cannot have hierarchy like with a group containing another group.

There there is a way in OBJ to specify materials, which is what I was planning on mapping styles to.

So basically I think there will likely be a pretty natural matchup for how to store these things. Do you think you would need a way to force it to work with a different matchup?

> Right now I noticed that the import does not keep the hierarchy
> structure, but I am assuming this is a work in progress.

Could you maybe describe a little more about what kind of import you are referring to?

Import of 3DM files should actually be keeping styles intact.

> -Is there a way to change the default styles' colours and names?

For this one, set up one file the way that you want (to get to the edit styles dialog you currently need to select an object, then go to the properties panel and click on the style entry, then pick "Edit styles" from the flyout), then save that off as a .3DM file and specify that file as the startup template under Options / General / Template file.

You can use that template file mechansim to set up whatever default model you want to be loaded when MoI starts (or when you do File/New), and any styles in the template will replace the defaults.

- Michael