V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.180 In reply to 2570.179 
Hi Igor,

> Love to hear you have instances here too..! need to check
> help on those (as they are what makes SketchUp so
> powerful..!!)

Actually MoI does not have instances currently, that is something that I want to add in the future at some point, sorry for the confusion!

> The only little point is the ms ribbon is very arguable
> interface for reference

In this case I was just referring to it because you previously wrote:
quote:
I'd stick with orange - same as office and Max

That's the part I was confused about - how can I be orange like office when office's tabs are not orange?

A discussion about the ribbon is certainly a whole different can of worms! :)

But there is certainly no doubt that the main concepts behind the ribbon are sound ideas, I mean the fundamental one is that unless your program is trivial you just can't have all the program's UI showing simultaneously, there has to be some way to switch chunks of it on or off.

MoI's UI is designed with much of the same fundamental ideas but with some different implementation. Early on I had tried doing just one big tabbed horizontal container, but it creates a rather excessive modality. That may not be bad if your workflow tends to spend a lot of time in one particular mode but if you need to bounce back and forth a bit between a couple of things it is good to have the possibility of having multiple tabs open simultaneously in smaller groups, which is what MoI's implementation does.

There is certainly a lot of "force everything into the ribbon" type stuff going on out there right now in the development world, sometimes with some bad side effects...

- Michael