V2 beta Apr-12-2009 available now

2570.155 In reply to 2570.154 
Hi Thomas,

> I didn't do this testing for a specific one of the two modes,
> since it should be the same for both IMO.

The actual browser control itself (which is made up of the sections: Groups, Objects, Types, Styles) should certainly be the same, and it is...

But the container that owns the control is a different issue - that is a separate thing from the control and does not necessarily need to be identical.

In the side pane where there are other palettes that work as containers, then the browser control should be nested inside of a palette container. For the "adjacent" mode where currently the whole panel is dedicated only to hold the browser and not any other palettes, there is no need to add in a "lone" palette container there, it would just not serve any useful purpose (not yet, anyway).

I mean really the whole reason to have more than one mode for the browser ("inside" versus "adjacent") is actually to have different container methods for it.

> "they look too much like they are siblings on some kind of
> equivalent level" - that is what they are for me

They literally are not siblings - when in "inside" mode, the palette header is at a higher level of the UI hierarchy and the scene browser control is nested within the palette body as a contained child element. Then clicking the palette header causes the entire browser control to be hidden or displayed - that's pretty clearly a parent/child relationship rather than a sibling relationship...

Anyway, I hope that explains some of the reasoning behind the design, and why some of the alternates that have been shown do not quite fit.

Also, if you end up not liking some of the particular colors for some reason, you will actually be able to edit the PNG files to suit your own personal taste if you want.

At any rate, for the next beta I've eliminated that "tail" part of the header UI that is in the current beta which seemed to be what was bothering you the most.

- Michael