Icons ?

2557.43 In reply to 2557.38 
Hi OSTexo,

> For example, the "Extend" icon in my opinion could use some minor
> action element to indicate the line extension. It's really nitpicking
> since the icon supports the text enough for me to realize the action <...>

Yeah, that's a pretty good example where having both the icon and the text together just helps to smooth things out by quite a bit.

It can often turn out to be difficult (or even practically impossible) to make a perfect representation of a command in an icon, especially when there are things like several stages of actions in the command.

The text labels help to make the UI more "browsable". One thing that I really dislike a lot is when you are confronted only with a big block of cryptic icons and then you have to go and hover your mouse over each one to get a tooltip to see what it does. That behavior of pausing over a bunch of buttons is a big interruption in workflow.

The text labels in MoI's buttons kind of act as an "always on" tooltip that you don't have to pop open with a special action.

I've really tried to avoid tooltips as much as possible, in MoI they are currently only used for things like showing a full long path name when you hover over a truncated file path, not for basic buttons.

- Michael