sliders for input numerical values

2553.8 In reply to 2553.7 
Hi Will, maybe I don't follow exactly - when you talk about zooming do you mean that your camera is actually changing, like would happen in a regular zoom where objects also get bigger or smaller in size?

If so then that's the same thing that I'm talking about - that's kind of mutating the grid size automatically in response to alterations in the view.

The way that usually works in programs that do that, is that you are not directly manipulating the grid when you zoom in or out - you are manipulating the camera just as you would for any regular zoom and then there is something that modifies the grid to adapt to the current level of zoom.

When things are set up like that, it means that you no longer would get a consistent grid size displayed in every viewpot, it would be different in each view depending on how much that view happened to be zoomed in or out.

That can cause problems because there is no longer any guaranteed consistency with the grid - instead of it just being the same size everywhere which you specifically set it, which is much more predictable.

I find that kind of automatic morphing of the grid to actually be a kind of "mis-feature", by which I mean that it is a feature that can easily cause problems or confusions in many situations instead of only being a positive thing in all situations.

Like I mentioned previously, maybe it would be possible to add in for the future as an optional thing to turn on, but it is not really a totally simple thing to add, it would need some additional settings, and it is somewhat finicky to handle in the perspective viewport, it is enough work that I probably won't be able to do it for some time.

- Michael