sliders for input numerical values

2553.7 In reply to 2553.6 
Are we talking about the same thing, Michael?

I'm not sure if you've ever used Lightwave before but in all of the views (including perspective) you can dynamically change your grid size measurement by "zooming in or out" the viewport.

No, this isn't actually zooming, in the pixel sense, it's actually changing the grid unit size (which by effect makes the model get smaller or larger) so if my grid size is current 1 meter and I "mouse wheel" the view, I can get it to change to 5 meters per grid unit and so on.

It's just a shortcut to change the grid size.

Yes, you would have to know (see) what your current grid units are when working but instead of having to go into an option dialog, you can change the value in >increments<.

I've just always found it handy when working on models that try and use real-world sizes (I guess that's what most people do anyway - again, my model sizes are usually arbitrary, since I've always used no units with MoI...)

Okay I just tried this in MoI - I created a cube that 4 units in all directions, my grid was set to 1 meter.

I went into the dialog and changed the grid to 10 meters - the number of grid lines became "less" (the space between the grids got larger) but the cube size didn't change as I would expect in Lightwave. (In LW, the box would have got smaller because I'd be "seeing more" of the area since I'm now seeing 10 meters per grid instead of just 1 meter.)

In LW, I guess the not only does the grid size change but the >view< is altered as well - the cube gets smaller in LW.
(Is the camera pulling back at that point by 10m? Or is it stationary but the view port size is changing?)

That's all I was suggesting - I'm not trying to do arbitrary pixel based zooms (like PS or Illy) here unless you're saying that what takes place behind the scene in MoI?

I was just looking for that nice grid size short cut for when I want to "drill down" in size and create a detail and then "zoom back out" to view the whole model...

-Will