sliders for input numerical values

2553.12 In reply to 2553.10 
Michael wrote:
"That means that you can't easily immediately know what you are looking at when you see a grid cell on the screen - you also have to check out some other piece of UI in addition to the grid to know what size you are dealing with, kind of make an adjustment in your head to apply the changing value to what you see..."

Well for me, I think that was actually what I was looking forward to - being able to change the grid size without having to stop and go into a dialog.

As you can see, yes, Lightwave has UI to always display the grid size - I don't see anything wrong with that since you can change it at dynamically while you're working.

That was the perspective view that I captured - each viewport can be configured to change seperately or together (similar to what you recently added to MoI.)

I typically have the ortho views change together, and the perspective view to change independently both in MoI and LW. The grid UI displays the grid unit size for the currently active view...

I'm sorry to hear you feel this is a bad setup, I find it quite natural when modeling in LW - I thought it would be nice to have in MoI.

I definitely didn't want arbitrary zooming like "Grid: 1.03mm" but just a shortcut for changing the grid size >in controlled steps< - Lightwave uses the 1,2,5,10 scheme going up or down when you zoom...

The one disadvantage I see in MoI currently is that the more you zoom out, the grid becomes a useless haze of lines. Similarly when you zoom in, you can no longer see the grid...

In LW, the grid is always the same size (and usable for snaps) no matter how far in or out you zoom because the grid units change to reflect the visible distances; you could be a mile out and still see and have a usable grid to work with...

-Will