Annoying grid snap

2531.5 In reply to 2531.4 
Hi niko - it's not really so much about the tablet specifically, this one is actually more about making it easier to draw things without having to set a bunch of modes back and forth all the time.

In Rhino, if you click the first point somewhere in 3D, and then go to the Top view and continue drawing, you will get that kind of non-planar "some points forced to z=0" type result. You have to know to set the "Planar" mode option in order to get your drawn curve to be all at the same z level. (that is the more normal way to do it rather than ctrl+click for elevator mode, since the "Planar" mode is easier to start by snapping on to an existing point for example).

But then that works just for simple picks without any snaps - if you move your mouse over an object snap point, it will go to that point in 3D (even when you are in a plan ortho view), also possibly making your drawn curve to be non-planar. To avoid that you have to additionally set the "Project" option in the Object Snap toolbar in order to actually get all planar results.

So that's 2 modes you have to set in 2 different locations, and then possibly unset them again later on if you want to do more free placement.

That kind of management of multiple modes is not particularly easy for a beginning user to learn.

So with MoI I wanted to reduce this reliance on setting these explicit modes back and forth, so instead the idea is that by drawing in one of the ortho views you are basically telling MoI that you are interested in a 2D result, and it applies the equivalent of both "Planar mode" and "Project osnap" mode automatically when you are picking points in that view. But in the 3D view it does not do that so that you can do other things like draw vertical lines, or draw a line connected between any 2 snapped points without projecting to a plane.

I suppose it might be possible for me add in some way to trigger a kind of "planar" mode that would also work with 2D drawing in the 3D view. For right now you can do something similar to this by setting a construction plane in that view to your desired z level, that will make regular non-osnapped points be drawn at that z until you reset the cplane.

- Michael