Backgroung image edit

2501.7 In reply to 2501.1 
Hi JPB,

It may be easiest for you to draw in a regular rectangle object first, and adjust that as needed and then place the background image using the rectangle object as a guide.

Also normally if you want to place an image at a 90 degree angle to the world plane, it is just easiest to draw it in one of the other views, for instance the Front view or Right-side view. If you switch to those views and draw your image it will be at one of those orientations right from the beginning and won't need to be rotated around with the tri-wheel at all.

Maybe I'm not understanding what your goal is though, can you show something for what kind of result you are trying to get?

> It would be nice if I could import the image at its existing size

Images are made up of pixel dots, they don't quite have a "size" in geometry units like a rectangle or line object does. They do sometimes have a "dots per inch" value associated with them (not always though), but that is more of a suggested physical print size.

So I'm not quite sure how that would be possible to do.

If you are very interested in controlling the size to an exact amount, it is definitely easiest right now to do that one by drawing a rectangle first (where you can enter width and height explicitly) and then snapping on to that.

Again, maybe if I can see what kind of result you are looking for I may understand more about what you are asking for with regard to controlling the size.

> and if the 3-wheel rotation gizmo had ortho settings, so that I
> could orient an image at say 90°. The angle input field at the
> bottom of the window does not seem to word.

It looks like a bug there - the angle constraint is working for rotating a regular object with the tri wheel (which is something new for version 2.0), but not an image. I'll see about fixing that up. But that is a kind of relative constraint, that lets you control an angle rotation for how much the current drag operation will alter the angle, not an "absolute" angle property.

But if you want full 90 degree orientations, I don't quite understand why you're not drawing the images in one of the Top/Front/Right views to have it that way right from the beginning...

- Michael