Backgroung image edit

2501.14 In reply to 2501.13 
Hi JPB, yeah if the original images do not match then that is going to get in the way quite a bit!

You'll probably want to prepare the images to have the same aspect ratio (proportion of width to height) also, since MoI will maintain the aspect ratio of an image and won't squish it non-proportionally.

Also it is not quite clear to me what you are trying to do with the scale - is there a legend or reference line in these images that you can use to set the scale? If so then MoI does not have anyway to automatically recognize that (that would take some kind of artifical intelligence to try and process the image pixel dots as something other than just a bunch of colored dots), but you can use the Align tool in the MoI v2 beta to set the scale of such a reference line pretty easily.

Here is a demo of how that works - you pick 2 reference points in the image and then you you pick 2 reference points in your model and the image is scaled and placed so that those registration lines will align with one another:

If you use a horizontal line it won't adjust the rotation.

Normally once you place one image, it should be pretty easy to match another one to it exactly from another view by looking for the "end" snaps (but making a box that is easily viewable from all directions is not a bad idea...).

The way that works is first in your top view place the initial image, get it to the proper scale and position that you want everything else to be aligned to, that will look something like this:

Now if I switch to the Front view and draw a new image there, I can pick up the 2 end points snaps to give it a precise alignment, like this:

When you go to move an image, start your drag a little bit to the inside of the corner so that you don't scale it instead - the scale grip will highlight if you are close to it so move a little away from that if you want to move it rather than scale.

If you want images at a 90 degree aspect to one another, you'll likely be better off drawing them like I show above so that they already are 90 degrees to each other right from the start and just totally avoid the rotation tri-ball thing completely. Also if you're having problems knowing where those end snaps are, you can just draw an imprecise one in the view to start with and then once it is placed at that 90 degree angle to the other one it should be pretty easy to switch to the 3d view for moving it and also scaling it to match the other image - I show moving it in the above screencap but scaling is easy to do in there as well once it is already at the rotation that you want.

Getting the images initially placed at 90 degrees will probably help make things quite a bit easier.

> (the often get inverted, right coming out as left etc.

That kind of thing can happen if you grab a scale corner and then drag it over past the opposite edge of the image, the image will become mirrored with that kind of dragging.

But if your images do not have a proper alignment to them like if they are different aspect ratios, then that's going to be a big problem that you'll want to adjust before bringing them into MoI.

Again, it is hard to for me to exactly understand what you are running into without actually seeing some stuff rather than just trying to imagine from descriptions. If you could include just a couple of the images and possibly show one kind of arrangement that you want to place them in (even with just an approximate sketch or something), that would be a lot easier for me to give you some more specific tips for that...

But I hope this much helps anyway though!

- Michael