Netbooks?

2488.2 In reply to 2488.1 
Hi Rob, well the one that I got is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220385

That is an ASUS N10J-A1, review of another one in this model line here:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3485

This is at least a couple of hundred dollars more than many of the other netbooks, but still not too expensive as far as laptops normally go, and it is pretty cool for 3D graphics work since it has an actual nVidia graphics card setup in it. The other netbooks generally have the "Intel integrated" graphics systems which are just not really in the same kind of performance level. But if you are not going to do too complex of models on it, it may not really matter. The Intel graphics ones should be able to handle light to moderate kind of models. They're just more likely to get bogged down with heavier models and also don't work particularly well with 3D games.

One other thing to keep in mind with a Netbook is that it has no cd-rom drive, so you need to get an external one if you need to have a CD with it.

It's really pretty cool, the only major thing is the hard drive is kind of slow, I'm thinking of replacing it with an SSD drive.

> I have just put my screen res down to roughly the same size
> as some of those netbooks and there does seem to be a bit of
> horizontal scrolling required, is that annoying?

Actually no - there shouldn't be any horizontal scrolling on the netbook because the UI scale will be set to a smaller size by default when doing the initial install on a low res machine like that.

You can get the same thing with your experiment you tried by going to Options / General / UI size and move the UI size slider to the left a bit until the UI size is small enough to avoid the horizontal scroll bar. You just got a larger default size when you ran MoI the first time since your main machine there was at a higher resolution then.

One of the cool things about MoI is that you can scale the UI to whatever custom size you want, that really helps when working on these low res situations.

- Michael