If I don't do organics, will MOI do everything I need?

2484.33 In reply to 2484.30 
Hi Kevin,

> There are quite a few jokesters on this forum.

I can understand that sub-d works better for your particular projects.

But you do realize that MoI is a NURBS modeler, and that this forum is about MoI, right?

So it tends to be filled with people for whom NURBS is a better choice for the particular tasks that they are doing, which happen to be different than your tasks.

That should not be a big mystery....

As you have surely noticed, I am quick to recommend sub-d over NURBS to someone if it fits their project better. That's just a practical thing, I mean I don't want someone to struggle to use MoI in a situation when another tool will work better for their project.

However, if you think that in all cases subd is superior to NURBS then I would have to say that you are very mistaken about that... Things that involve cutting holes through your shape tends to be a major disaster with subd, you can't guarantee that the shape of the hole is exact and instead you have to manipulate a big bunch of points to try and arrange them in the shape of the hole, and tweak the topology a lot to suit the hole. With NURBS you draw a profile curve (for example a circle of your exact hole diameter) and then cut your object with it and you're done. It's both faster and more accurate. The faster part is of interest to quite a variety of different people (including ones just doing rendering work), and the accurate part is of interest to people who are going to manufacture the part.

Manufactured parts tend to have a ton of these kinds of holes and fasteners in them, and when the part is actually built it is important for them to actually fit together and not to just look good in a rendering.

At any rate, if you hate NURBS so much then I'm not sure why you are hanging out on a NURBS forum?

I mean I don't necessarily blame you for not liking them, they are not the right tool for the work that you do and it can be very frustrating to attempt to use a tool for a job that it is not suited for. That does not mean that the same tool is not better for someone else who is working on a project that it is suited for though.

- Michael