If I don't do organics, will MOI do everything I need?

2484.18 In reply to 2484.17 
Hi all,

My area of interest is ships, and occasionally aircraft, inasmuch as they have a naval connection, with the idea of having the models turned into masters for resin castings using CNC milling and/or stereo lithography. I have been an infrequent user of Rhino for years and although happy with it overall I was never too happy with the lofting and sweeping of surfaces. I recently acquired Modo in order to try my hand on subd poly modelling but so far I found it to be far from what I feel compfortable with and the learning curve seems rather steep. However I am impressed by the rendering capabilities of Modo and I will stick to it, so that my models can be turned not only into CNC masters but also into illustrations, although I realise that there might be quite a lot of work for that to happen.

I discovered MoI at about the same time, mostly because the Rhino mesher is so bad and MoI’s seemed so much superior. I found MoI so appealing with its brilliant user interface that I bought it as well. I just love the way it works, and I have started building models with it, while keeping Rhino in the background. MoI’s lofting and sweeping seems to work much better for me than Rhino’s.

Here are examples of recent WIP models. These are made in Rhino, but they give a good idea of what I expect from MoI. For my purpose, a NURBS modeller is the tool of choice, but nice rendering is an attractive option too.

EDITED: 19 Mar 2009 by JPBWEB