If I don't do organics, will MOI do everything I need?

2484.10 In reply to 2484.8 
>I disagree with the cars comment. Anything hard surface is a lot easier using nurbs and I think MOI should be able to handle it fine.

In theory what you said is spot on. I practice that is another whole different story which you can really only understand by having a go at modelling one yourself.

Yeh it can be done but it is far more timeconsuming than polymodelling and then converting it all to a nice smooth clean mesh (so you can render it) is another whole set of problems which takes a lot of additional time to solve for each part. That is why you see very few car or aircraft models (that are accurate to the original design) that are done with Rhino or MoI. Nurbs is Ok for concept cars because you design your car to suit what Nurbs like to do rather than try to capture all the subtle curves involved in the design of a Ferrari or Porsche etc

As previously discussed with Michael Gibson in other threads, Cars and Aircraft really fall into the realm of organic modelling for which polymodelling is better suited than Nurbs. You can only understand why that is once you have a go at modelling a car or aircraft that captures all the subtle shapes and curves of the original design with Rhino or MoI.

EDITED: 18 Mar 2009 by KEVJON