Scene browser progress

2470.23 In reply to 2470.9 
Hi Burr,

> I start modeling and need access to basic organizational methods,
> a simpler styles and groups, but then when I pause for a bit,
> I want the full power to open up...It could even take over some
> of the modeling area for the moment. So possible a 2 step entry
> into the browser???

It's kind of tough to think about this kind of completely separate multi-stage thing, because that then makes for multiple kinds of "triggering" mechanisms required to open up each of these different modes.

Basically I'm really hoping to have one overall mechanism that sort of combines these things together, like with basic functions like "hide/show" easy to access in the most simple way but then a pop-up menu that you can trigger by clicking on an item that has some more advanced functions on it.

That pop-up menu part is actually a lot like you are describing above, since it will take up some additional space when it is open, sort of like the "take over some of the modeling area" that you were talking about above. So maybe the current direction is actually pretty aligned to what you are describing, we'll see when it comes together a bit more!

> PS: Dont forget "Position" popup as you have done with
> "Size" popup. That would be way cool!

Most objects don't really have a "position" - usually objects are made up of a variety of different x,y,z points in it, and a "position" would mean trying to elevate just one of those points as a kind of special one. You can use the Move command for that currently since you pick the point you are interested in as the first pick in that command.

Some previous discussion on this here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2127.45

- Michael