Robby~Final

2463.41 In reply to 2463.40 
Hi Tony,

> modo then has mesh items which look like they matche with
> the 'layer' concept. At the moment each object in MoI comes
> over as a new mesh item called obj1, obj2, etc.

Yeah, currently when MoI writes out a LWO it puts each object in MoI on a different LWO "layer" with automatically generated names obj1, obj2, etc...

So those are what end up as a 'mesh item' in Modo.

It seems like I've heard from some people though that this can be inconvenient to have things split up into too many different mesh items in Modo with more complex models though.

Yeah the "tags" terminology is also used in LWO format, for values that can be assigned to faces. There is a "SURF" tag that assigns a surface to a polygon, and I just reviewed the LWO docs and saw that there is a "PART" tag that can be used to make a polygon belong to a named group.

But neither "PART" tags nor layers in LWO are hierarchical (with a parent/child type structure) so I'm not sure if groups in MoI will map to either one of those very well.

Yes, styles going across as surfaces seems to make the most sense for that part.

And what I'm thinking now is that I should make named objects in MoI translate across as layers, and if you assign several objects in MoI the same name then I can combine those objects together to make just one LWO layer out of them. Otherwise unnamed objects can go across same as now as "obj1", "obj2", etc...

- Michael