Meshing ... tests and wishes

2451.68 In reply to 2451.60 
Hi Micha,

> And here an other problem, I don't get a mesh without a split effect.

There are actually 2 different bugs that are happening here.

The first one which actually causes the biggest rendering glitch is that the surface normals are not being handled right at that "pole" point for the center point of the disc. This is a bug that happened with the last v2 beta along with some of the speed-up stuff (same bug as from this thread).

To avoid that you can either use V1 for that particular model, or move it closer to the world origin which should avoid the problem. The bug happens in the Jan-19 beta when models are in a certain zone away from the origin something like between 7000 to 10000 units away, anyway that one is fixed up for the next v2 release already but it is not present in v1 (well it is in v1 for display meshing but not export meshing).

Then the other bug is with the aspect ratio control. It is normally intended that the aspect ratio metric should not be applied to a UV quad that has a collapsed "pole" endpoint. Otherwise if you took an isosceles triangle like that and subdivide it, the new triangle tip does not improve in aspect ratio so it would just keep on dividing until it gets to be really small. The piece of code that detects whether there is a pole was using too tight of a tolerance and not detecting it consistently in this case. I've fixed this one up for the next v2 beta so that the aspect ratio control will be ignored for that front disc surface as it should be.

But for the moment you'll also need to avoid using the aspect ratio setting on that particular model - use "Divide larger than" instead of you want to dice it up, until the next v2 beta where this stuff is all fixed.

Thanks for sending the models so I could debug the problems over here!

- Michael