Meshing ... tests and wishes

2451.6 In reply to 2451.1 
Hi Micha,

> (2) mesh #1
> Here I wonder me, that at the big main surface no quads are
> created. Best would be, if the quad edges would match with
> the edges of the rounded edge at the sides.

The reason for this will become more clear if you switch temporarily to Output:n-gons to see the n-gon structure, which looks like this:

During the process of meshing, MoI forms n-gons, which start out as quads that follow the UV structure of the surface, and then can turn into n-gons where they hit trim boundaries or also where they connect to the separate UV structure of an adjacent surface.

If you go into Rhino and set that object to display with a high number of isoparms, you can see this:

Notice how the isoparms for the fillet do not completely align with the other surface? That's because they have a different kind of UV space to each of them, that's one reason why they can generate some different initial UV grids.

I think it is going to be possible for me to do some work in the future to try and form the initial UV quads of a fillet after the "main" surfaces have been done and in some situations it may be possible for me to make a better initial structure for the fillet that matches an adjacent surface, but probably only when there is a plane to one side of the fillet since matching to pressure from multiple sides of curved surfaces is probably not going to work.

This is not going to be a completely easy thing to try to improve, so it probably won't happen very soon but at some point in the future.

- Michael