Meshing ... tests and wishes

2451.5 In reply to 2451.1 
Hi Micha,

> (1) Ellipsoid
> From my tests with spheres I got perfect homogeneous meshes, but if I
> import an ellipsoid from Rhino, than I get irregular triangels:

The ellipsoid is going through some changes in curvature in those areas, the base mesh was good enough for most of the shape but did not match the angle in some of those areas, so those areas got some adaptive refinement in them.

In general it is difficult for me to enforce a completely uniform mesh in every circumstance because it can easily lead to an extremely heavy mesh in other situations.

See this previous thread:
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2379.1

For some discussion on this - this is the same issue that you are seeing here. If I always tried to make a completely uniform mesh, it would have a very bad consequence of shapes as shown in the other thread to have an extremely heavy mesh.

MoI's mesher does do quite a bit of work to try and get a very uniform mesh on shapes that are completely regular like a sphere or cylinder. But an ellipsoid is no longer regular like that, and has varying curvature.

Unfortunatley this is a tough area to improve without an unwanted increase in density in other situations. Many meshing things are like that, where with your human intelligence you can see that it would be a bit better to treat something with varying curvature in a different way but unfortunately from a coding perspective it is hard to make the code have "artifical intelligence" to do this kind of judgments.

- Michael