system decimal display

2445.19 In reply to 2445.18 
Hi Michael,
It works exactly how you set it up to work and I was just re-thinking a longer impact on your UI.

Let me clarify.

>>I guess I'm not quite sure what part of the UI you are referring to now - are you talking about the "3 values on a single line" part that is displayed on the top level UI, ?>>>

Yes. Talking about the "Label" with 3 values on one line. You made it do exactly as we discussed, but after fooling around a bit, larger values or setting that even higher decimal setting (six places) will truncate that number. Was thinking you may want to avoid this.

>>>>If you install that patch above for the edit size popup (update your install's EditSizeMenu.htm with the attached version above) then that part should behave pretty predictably when you set 6 decimal places in the options, it should just display 6 decimal places there with the patch installed same as any other regular field that you see.>>>>

Yes that patch is perfect and actually desireable in all situations. So it now supports the higher decimal settings.

>>>>The one that has all 3 values on a single line is a special case and it just cannot adhere to the exact same standard as the regular fields do. But with that other previous update in place it will pay attention to your custom number of decimal places set for numbers less than 100.>>>

Yes, this is what I am refering to now. You set it up to do what I wanted, but then I noticed the truncated numbers with higher values and thought you may not want this and am trying to propose an alternative that deals with the situation I presented. Which leads to the last part and the cruxt of my new presentation.

>>>>>When you have moved things with the mouse you'll pretty much have values like 0.542598218938321 as the actual number in nearly all situations unless you've used something like grid snap. So basically that special character would be displaying pretty much all the time...>>>>

That really is it and I am suggesting a revert from my original request. Having the UI be clean with only 2 decimal places like you have set up really does work. My particular problem was when I use that label up there (The one with 3 lines on it) to gather my object properties, it will display .54 even if the value is .53476 or something. With the new setup you made that displays all the decimal places, if I create somthing that is .54 then the display only shows the 2 decimals. no real need for any others.

So really all I need in the display label is an indicator that the value is something other than "Round". Hence the .54> THen I would know that it needs an edit popup to get the 6 decimal precision. The edit popup handles these numbers quite well.

I understand that for most users the smaller values would not be needed and haveing some kind of special character "Always there" may confuse the UI. Trying to think of a way to acheive the "notification of the larger decimal value" without the UI impacted detrimentally. Maybe even the 2 decimal number appears with a slightly darker box around it.

Does that make sense?