MOI3D mesher plugin for Rhino? Closed

2398.5 In reply to 2398.1 
Hi Micha, there is already a very easy workflow for using MoI in combination with Rhino, I mean it uses the same .3dm file format so it is easy to open Rhino data in MoI, and you can even Copy and Paste NURBS objects back and forth between them.

So if using MoI's meshing function is important for you, I am kind of confused why you are not already using MoI together with Rhino right now.

There are plenty of people (both Rhino users and non-Rhino users) that use MoI for this purpose of getting higher quality (and now with v2 much faster as well with multi-core!) mesh output from NURBS/CAD objects.

> I'm sure that many users are interested to get a better mesher
> for Rhino, for rendering and RP.

Yup, a bunch of people already use MoI for this particular purpose, it works really well for this! :)

It tends to be more practical for me to focus on developing the stand-alone version of MoI rather than focusing on a Rhino plug-in. There are also quite a few people who want to use the mesher who are not Rhino users, like people who want to convert CAD data from SolidWorks/Catia/etc over to Modo, etc... By focusing on developing the regular stand-alone version of MoI I am able to help the largest number of people since both Rhino and non-Rhino users can make use of it, while a plug-in is only of use just to Rhino users.

> An other question: is there a way to buy MOI3D v2 now, so
> that a new user could be part of the beta testers. I'm curious
> to test the mesher and to help to improve it.

There is no way to buy v2 yet, it is not finished yet. But you can use the v2 beta during the development period if you purchase a v1 license, and there will be an upgrade discount license available for v1 users to purchase a v2 license. And actually the total cost of v1 + v2 upgrade I think will be the same as the cost of v2 standalone - the v2 standalone will be going up in price a bit I think.

> For example it could be nice to copy a object to MOI3d
> and create the mesh to the clipboard, so that it can be
> inserted in Rhino at the same place like the NURBS object befor.

You can get something extremely close to this already by setting just a couple of keyboard shortcuts. In MoI set a keyboard shortcut with this: SaveAs c:\meshfile.obj , and in Rhino set a keyboard shortcut or make a button with this: Import c:\meshfile.obj .

Then the workflow starting from Rhino is: Select your objects to mesh, Press Ctrl+C to copy the NURBS data to the clipboard. Go to MoI, press Ctrl+V to get your objects. Press the key that you assigned the "SaveAs" command. Switch back to Rhino and press the key that you assigned the "Import" command.

So basically 4 keyboard shortcuts can be used to complete the entire process, it should be very quick to complete this process.

- Michael